Monday, May 3, 2010

White Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting


When I saw the Cookie Madness entry for Funfetti Cupcake Clones, I started looking for an excuse to try the white cupcake recipe because they looked so delicious.  Niall asked me to make treats for him to take to work (in the UK when it's your turn to celebrate you bring your own treats, including bringing in your own birthday cake!), so it sounded like a good excuse to me.  Plus I wanted to try an experiment making a frosting out of Buttermilk Syrup and the result was pleasing.  I liked it so much I ate WAY too much.  Here's the recipe for the caramel frosting:

Ingredients

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cube (1/2 cup or 100 grams) of butter
1 Tablespoon light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk (we didn't have any, so I used milk with vinegar)
2-4 cups powdered sugar

Make the Buttermilk Syrup.  (Mix the granulated sugar, butter, Karo syrup, soda and buttermilk in a pan. Bring it to a boil, continue stirring while the syrup boils until it turns a light brown-should take about five minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.)

Let the syrup cool for five to ten minutes.  Then pour it in a mixing bowl.  Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until it reaches the desired consistency.




The frosting hardens fairly quickly.  I tried to add sprinkles shortly after frosting the cupcakes (known as hundreds and thousands in the UK) and they would not stick!


The cake recipe from Cookie Madness is my new favorite white cake recipe.  The recipe is here. It takes a bit more effort (whipping egg whites) but so worth it.  I liked the way the cupcakes tasted on day one, Niall liked the cupcakes better the next day.

Sift the dry ingredients


Whip the egg whites.


Cream the sugar and butter.


Add in the dry ingredients, milk, dry ingredients, milk, dry ingredients.  (I forgot the vanilla/almond extract and the cupcakes were still good.  I bet they're amazing with vanilla.)  Fold in the egg whites.


Niall did the folding.  Doesn't it look nice?


Bake for 22 minutes at 350 degrees.  Makes 24 cupcakes.

No comments: