Saturday, June 20, 2015

Old Wooden Chest

Life around these parts is a lot less DIY these days.  But one day in the winter we went to a charity shop.  Niall saw this chest and was taken.   He said he has wanted one of these for a long time.  Alas, despite the sign, it was more than 50p.  It was more like £75.

The chest had a faux oak finish that probably looked really good a few years ago.  But it had gone a bit orange and had scratched off in places.

Cue hours and hours of the paint gun, eco stripped (seriously, should have just used the good stuff) and sanding.

It was a messy, labor intensive project.  And we didn't take a lot of photos.  But so much paint stripping.  And it was probably lead paint, now that I think about it.

The chest had about four layers of paint and a black stain.  I stripped and stripped, went through so much steel wool.

And then finally called it a day and oiled 'er up.

The chest now has pride of place in the living room and serves as a stage when the girls want to perform.

No comments: