Thursday, February 25, 2010

Grandma's Applesauce Cookies


These cookies are my favorite.  They are a family tradition.  The recipe makes a lot of cookies (maybe about 80).  I have fond memories of my grandma making these cookies.  They're moist and cake-like and they are amazing frozen.  My mom sometimes makes these just for me and packs them in her suitcase before coming to visit.  They're good the day they're made, but even better with a little time.

These cookies are not a crowd pleaser.  I once took them to a party and was told they were "grandma cookies."  (It wasn't meant as a compliment.)  Niall doesn't like them (he'll only eat them if I don't add raisins.)  I am rather protective of these cookies, and I think some other family members are as well.  I made them without nuts and my uncle was pretty upset.  He pointed out that the recipe doesn't have nuts as optional.  And he's right.  (The recipe's pictured below.  But I still sometimes skip the nuts.)



Ingredients

1 cup shortening (this means butter)
2 teaspoons soda
2 cups raisins
2 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 package chocolate chips (if desired)
2 eggs
4 cups flour
2 cups applesauce
1 cup nuts (pecans are best)

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Cream the butter and sugar together.  Add the eggs.  Separately, combine the applesauce and the soda.  I love how the applesauce foams.



Add the applesauce and soda to the creamed butter/sugar/eggs.  Sift the spices, salt and flour together and add to the mixture.


Stir in the raisins, chocolate chips and nuts.  Drop the dough onto a greased cookie sheet.


Bake for 10 minutes (I usually bake for about 12, but I like them brown.)  Remove from the oven and cool.

No comments: