Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chicken and Vegetable Chowder


Uh, this doesn't look very appetizing, but it did tasted better.  I had some frozen chicken and chicken broth from a roast chicken. And since Niall's not around, I decided to use it to make soup. At first I was going to make chicken noodle soup, but we didn't have the noodles that I wanted. So I decided to try a chicken chowder (because apparently I love orange soup) based on the recipe from Inspired 2 Cook.

Ingredients

3 carrots, peeled and chopped
8 baby potatoes, washed and chopped
1 onion, diced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup cooked chicken
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
1 cup milk (I used 2%)

Makes four servings.

In a large stock pot, heat the oil and butter.  Add the onion and saute for a few minutes.  Add the carrots and potatoes.  Then add the seasonings and the chicken broth.

My broth was frozen and it already had the chicken in it, so here's a picture.  Appetizing, eh?


Cover and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft.  I ended up simmering for about 35 minutes, but it would probably be closer to 20-25 if you're not using frozen broth.



Because the chicken was in the frozen broth, I had to use a spoon to get it out of the soup before pureeing.  Add 1 cup of milk to the soup (I mostly did this to cool it down so it wouldn't melt the blender.)  Puree the soup.  Hand blender is easiest, but a blender or food processor would work.  



When the soup is blended, add the chicken and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.  Then it's ready to serve. 



No comments: