Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Homemade Wheat Rolls


If we had Rhodes Bake-N-Serv rolls, I would use those.  But I haven't been able to find any frozen roll dough, so I used the recipe from Worldwide Ward Cookbook.  I modified it a bit (made a few adjustments, halved the recipe, used wheat flour.)


Ingredients

1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup milk, scalded and cooled (I used 2% milk)
1 egg
Just under 1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
2 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour, plus flour for kneading

Pour the warm water in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top.  (I added a pinch of sugar to help with the activation and then sprinkled the yeast.)


Set it aside for five minutes and allow the yeast to activate.


Scald the milk and allow it to cool.  (In a mug, I heated the milk in the microwave on high for about two minutes, which isn't exactly scalding. To cool, I placed the milk in the fridge for a few minutes and then added the butter.  It didn't cool it very much but it worked okay.)


Mix together the milk, butter, egg, and salt at a high speed.


Pour in the yeast mixture and continue mixing.  (I used the stand mixer and used the whisk attachment.  When adding the flour, I changed to the dough hook.)  Gradually mix in the flour.  (I added the wheat flour first and then the white flour.)  Knead for about five minutes.  The dough will be sticky.


Flour a surface and put the dough on it.  Knead the dough into the flour until it is no longer sticky.


Grease a bowl and place the dough in it.  Allow the dough to rise until it doubles.  (It took about an hour on my stovetop.)


When the dough has doubled, punch it down.

Grease a 9x13 pan and palm the dough into roll sized portions.  (I had enough dough for 15 rolls, plus four more in a smaller greased pan.)


Allow the rolls to rise (it took about an hour) and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees F.



Remove and serve.

No comments: