Monday, January 25, 2010

Coconut Vegetable Thai Soup

Niall says this is not Mulligatawny*. I made it thinking it was, using the recipe from Gluten Free Goddess. Whatever its name, it is a nice Thai inspired soup with vegetables.

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon Red Thai Curry Paste
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 cup butternut squash, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1 potato, peeled and chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I used one Pink Lady and one Granny Smith)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can of coconut milk
1-2 limes, juiced (I used one)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 can garbanzo (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
salt and pepper

In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the curry paste.


Add the onion to the curry and oil and saute until the onion turns translucent. Then add the carrot, squash, potato, garlic, apple and vegetable broth. Cook for about 30 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft.


Add the sugar, coconut milk (erm, the can I used had separated, which is why the coconut milk looks so thick...it turned out fine), lime juice and brown sugar and stir.



Puree the soup. I used a handheld mixer.


Taste the soup and adjust the flavor as needed. Add the garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas.)



The soup is ready to serve. It's nice with a side of jasmine rice. This made enough for 6-7 servings. I liked it better as leftovers because the flavors got better w/age.

*I didn't know what Mulligatawny until we went to eat at the pub Cambridge Blue a few months ago. I ordered Mulligatawny because I was curious and thought it was so delicious. Apparently it's a curry-based soup, and since I like Indian food and soup it was sort of like a dream come true. It had a meat base so Niall couldn't have any at the pub. I wanted to make a vegetarian version, I guess I'll have to keep trying.



1 comment:

AM said...

This looks like the best ever AND AND AND no cilantro!