Saturday, September 11, 2010

Momofuku English Muffins


I live in the UK.  And you know what I miss?  English muffins.  Niall has just informed me that they're in all the shops, only they're just called muffins.  But I've lived here for 3 1/2 years and go to the store all the time and do NOT recall seeing them.  So, maybe English muffins are all over the place, but I was really excited to make these because I haven't had them in ages.

How amazing are the dough recipes in the Momofuku cookbook?  Seriously, the directions are so good for making dough.  The steamed buns recipe made a very stiff dough.  This recipe was one of the stickier doughs I've made.  It wasn't easy to work with, but was manageable.  And the dough really was pillowy and tender and delicate



The muffins I made weren't symmetrical.  But I was so proud of them!  I had never griddle baked dough before. 


We were supposed to make Bay Leaf Butter, but didn't get around to it.  I froze more than half the dough and will make these later with the butter.  Once the muffins are made, the cookbook suggested searing the muffins in a hot griddle, which I tried.  But truth be told, we liked them better from the toaster. 

No comments: