Thursday, December 3, 2009

Soft Sugar Cookies



In kindergarten we used to get snacks. Being a fat kid I REALLY loved snack time. The one snack that I specifically remember was sugar cookies and bright red punch. I thought it was the most delicious food ever. I admire my kindergarten teacher for giving bright red liquid to five year olds, especially one as accident prone as myself. To this day I love bright red punch and sugar cookies. Using rockrecipes as a guideline, I made some alternations, quartered the recipe and ended up with 15 cookies.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter, sugar and egg together until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and lemon extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients until the batter is a lovely yellow color.



Roll rounded teaspoons of the dough in sugar and place about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.



Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies start to slightly brown. Remove the baking tray from the oven and let the cookies rest for a few minutes before removing to cool. Serve with bright red punch.






No comments: