Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Banana Bread


My little sister Charlotte has started cooking.  And according to her facebook updates she makes banana bread quite a bit.  More bananas have gone past their prime here, so I decided to make banana bread in her honor.  Is this the place where I admit we didn't have all the ingredients so I had to make some modifications?  (I halved the recipe, ran out of butter so used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and used five egg whites instead of two eggs, because I had five egg whites on hand.)

Here's the original recipe, for three loaves of banana bread.

Ingredients

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
5 large ripe bananas, mashed
4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soda
optional:  nuts and chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.  Grease three glass loaf pans.  (We only had metal, and I did not modify the oven temperature or cooking time and the bread turned out fine.)

Cream the shortening and sugar.  Add the eggs and bananas.  Then add the dry ingredients.


Charlotte is a big fan of adding chocolate chips.  So Niall asked me to add them.  And some pecans.



One loaf has chocolate chips and nuts.  The other doesn't.  Place in the oven for one hour and fifteen minutes.


Check the bread w/a knife to make sure it's done.  Remove from the oven, cool, and remove from the pans.

No comments: