Monday, March 8, 2010

Mini Lemon-Lime Pies


I used a key lime pie recipe from Southern Grace Gourmet.  Key limes are pretty hard to come by, so we used regular limes.  Maybe lime pie isn't that common here because I was talking to a friend and she thought I said we were having slime pie!  (Or maybe I don't enunciate very well.)

In the end we didn't have enough lime juice, so I used half lemon juice.  I don't know why I keep using muffin tins instead of a full pie plate, but mini pies it is.

I used a digestive biscuit base (1 cup digestive biscuit crumbs, 1/4 cup melted butter) and fresh whip cream as a topping (double cream with a bit of icing sugar and vanilla.)

For the lemon-lime filling:

Ingredients

1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
5 egg yolks
1 can of condensed milk (14 ounce or equivalent)
2-3 teaspoons of lime zest

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with papers and place the crust in each cup.  Press the crust up the sides to make a well.


In a bowl, add the filling ingredients.  (Niall's much better at grating than I am.)


Mix well.


Pour about 1/3 cup of filling into each muffin tin.


Bake for 10-15 minutes, remove from the oven and refrigerate for about three hours.  Before serving, whip the cream.

No comments: