Friday, March 19, 2010

Mitch's Mom's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies



Do you want to make A LOT of cookies?  Then here's the recipe for you, courtesy of my mom.  It makes 112 cookies.  I halved it and still got so many cookies it was kind of ridiculous.  (About 60)

In the family we all have our favorite cookies, and my mom kindly rotates through them to keep all the kids happy.  But when she makes these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I know she gets a special kind of joy because they happen to be her favorite.  She made about 600 of them for my wedding and carried them from Salt Lake City, Utah to Glasgow.  (And had to stop my grandpa from giving them away to random strangers in various airports.)  For the wedding we gave everyone the recipe, but it had way too much butter and too many nuts.  So here's the correct version.

Ingredients

2 cups butter (No Substitutes)
4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups oatmeal (I use the Old Fashioned Brand Quaker Oats but that brand may not be available in the U.K.)
24 oz. chocolate chips
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups chopped nuts (Pecans, of course)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together.  I love how this mixture looks.


Add the flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda and mix well. Add chocolate chips and nuts.  The mixture goes from being pretty and smooth to this


Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.


Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees (or until light brown-12 minutes worked for me).
Yum!!!

1 comment:

AM said...

I can vouch for these cookies - from the dough to the finished cookie with the wrong recipe and the finished cookie with the right recipe.