Monday, March 1, 2010

Crescent Dinner Rolls



These rolls are pretty rich and flaky.  And they worked out well for a Sunday lunch.  I made the dough in the morning, refrigerated it during church and came home with it ready to go.  Based on the recipe Feather Yeast Rolls from "Worldwide Ward Cookbook".  I halved the recipe and made 16 rolls.

Ingredients

1 Tablespoon yeast
2 Tablespoons warm water
3/4 cup milk, scalded and cooled
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten well
2 1/2 cups flour (I accidentally used 3 1/4 and they turned out fine)

Dissolve the yeast in the water, with a pinch of the sugar.  Heat the milk (I put it in the microwave for two minutes, then added cold butter to cool it.)  Mix all the ingredients together, except the flour.  Then stir in the flour.  (I added too much, but the dough ended up being fine.)  The dough will be quite soft.  Cover and refrigerate for about four hours.  (Or overnight.)


Take half of the refrigerated dough and roll it on a floured surface into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.  Brush with melted butter.  Cut the dough into eight equal parts.  (I used a pizza cutter.)



Roll each piece, starting from the wide end and rolling to the narrow end.  Tuck the tip.  (I didn't and the rolls ended up coming apart.)  Shape into a crescent.



Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  (These have enough butter that I didn't have any problem with them sticking.)   


Let the dough rise until it doubles.  (I placed them in the oven at just under 200 degrees for about 15 minutes.) Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes.  They should be golden brown.

  

No comments: