Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Laverbread Patties


Since we live in Wales it's high time I get to know the cuisine a little better.  The first order of the day?  Laverbread.  First mistake?  I went to the bakery to get it.  I didn't know laver is seaweed (that has been boiled for about six hours.)  The bakery sent me to the fish stall.  I was advised to mix the laverbread with oatmeal and fry it in bacon fat.  To make it vegetarian friendly I used butter instead.  I'm not sure if this is anything close to the authentic laverbread patties, but I liked it.

Ingredients

1 cup laverbread
1/2 cup uncooked oats
salt and pepper to taste
butter for frying

Here's the laverbread from the fish stall.  (Sorry about the picture.)


Mix it with oats and a little salt and pepper.  Use a teaspoon to make a little patty.  Heat some butter in a skillet and place the patty in the skillet.



Fry until browned on both sides.

No comments: