Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Momofuku Pork Belly


The final product may not look pretty but I did try on this one.  I have no idea about pork belly, whether I got a good piece, how it was supposed to turn out, etc.  I was very surprised at how fatty the cut was.  Maybe that's the nature of the beast?  Also, I have never been good at carving meat.  And this was no exception.  But despite my lack of skills this was really tasty.


Here's the pork belly before I cut it.  The rub was salt and sugar and the result was savory, sweet and salty.  In an effort to make something for Niall to have on his "pork"  bun, we decided to use halloumi cheese.


Halloumi is so delicious and salty.  And when it's fried in a dry pan it crisps up nicely.  To give it a bit of sweet I added a little maple syrup to the cheese as it fried. 

No comments: