Monday, January 18, 2010

Jamaica Juice (Hibiscus Flower Iced Tea)


There's a 24-hour fast-food Mexican place in Utah called Molcasalsa. I adore their Jamaica Juice, which is iced hibiscus flower tea with sugar. I love this drink because it's red and a little tart. I used the recipe from 101 Cookbooks to make my own Jamaica Juice.

Ingredients

1/4 cup dried hibiscus flowers
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup sugar (or more if desired)
2 cups cold water
Sliced lime for garnish
Ice

What can I say? Dried hibiscus flower is really red. I mean really red. It could be used to dye clothes.


Add 1/4 cup of the dried hibiscus flower to a tea pot.


Add two cups of boiling water and steep for ten minutes.


Add the hibiscus tea to a larger pitcher and add two cups of cold water and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until cold.


In a glass, add ice and a slice of lime, then pour the gorgeous red Jamaica Juice into the glass. Add more sugar if desired and enjoy!



2 comments:

Katherine Lewis said...

This picture and recipe makes my mouth water! Yum!

RgMania said...

Hibiscus flowers can be used for many otherpurposes, also unconventional: not only gerbal tea, but also cocktails: try hibiscus flowers with champagne for instance.