Friday, January 22, 2010

Root Beer Ice Cream


My mom got this recipe from a family she adores. I love this recipe, I think it's the reason we got an ice cream machine. (It's just a little countertop one, but works great for us for now.)

Ingredients

1 cup half and half
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup +1/4 cup milk
3 teaspoons root beer extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Root Beer extract is one of my prized possessions. In Utah it's a standard at the grocery store, but I have not been able to find it in the UK.

Follow ice cream machine instructions. We have to place part of our machine in the freezer 24 hours before using. Mix ingredients in a bowl and stir.

Place frozen ice cream machine bowl into machine and start it running. Slowly add the mixture into the machine and keep machine stirring until the ice cream resembles fresh whipped cream (½ hour or more).
Scrape mixture into a freezer proof container and freeze.

3 comments:

AM said...

I can attest that this is the best ice cream in the world (and i Love ice cream/have eaten it all over the world) (I hope that doesn't sound like I'm bragging).

Brecca "VooDoo Child" said...

Is the Hire's "Big H" rootbeer extract? I want it. I MUST find some when I visit Utah next.. where did you get it?

niall and mitch said...

Brecca Jean-It is indeed Hire's Big H. I got it at the Smith's on 45th South and 9th East if that helps.